from Forks Over Knives
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced (2 cups)
• 1 zucchini, cut into long diagonal slices (1 cup)
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (1 cup)
• 6 whole-wheat pita breads
• 1 ½ cups store-bought pizza or marinara sauce
• 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
• CHEESY BEAN SPREAD
• 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
• ¼ cup nutritional yeast
• 1 clove garlic, minced (½ teaspoon)
• 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
• 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the onions, zucchini, and bell peppers in a skillet and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the onions start to turn golden brown. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time as needed, to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
3. Place the pitas on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
4. Combine the beans, nutritional yeast, garlic, vinegar, and ¼ cup water in a food processor. Puree until smooth. Add pepper flakes; mix well, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
5. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the pitas over.
6. Spread 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce over each pita. Dot the pitas with spoonfuls of the bean spread.
7. Layer the vegetables on top. Sprinkle with some basil and bake for 20 minutes.