Tempeh Chick N Noodle Soup
• 1 Yellow Onion
• 3 large Carrots
• 5 ribs of Celery
• 1 tsp Dried Thyme
• 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
• 8 oz Tempeh
• 9 cup Imitation Chicken Broth
• 3 packets Rice Ramen Noodles (or other noodle of your choice)
• 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
• 1 Tbsp White miso paste, optional
1. prepare the vegetables. Dice the Onion, and slice the Celery and Carrots.
2. In a non stick skillet over medium heat, brown the sliced tempeh. Then turn off the heat and prepare the vegetables. (Not sure this step is necessary but it gives the tempeh an appetizing look.)
3. Add a splash of water or stock to a large pot over medium heat. Add in the diced onion, celery and carrots and sauté, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the tempeh, spices and Vegetable Stock to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
5. About ten minutes before serving, bring the soup to a low boil and add the noodles. Cook until noodles are done, about 5-10 minutes. Dissolve miso in a ladleful of hot broth and add it and parsley. serve.
Tempeh is a healthy form of soy. It is whole bean and fermented. Find it next to the tofu. Slice or dice as needed.
I don't know how these noodles will hold up when reheated as leftovers. I just made the soup with everything except the noodles and miso. I reheated the soup base then added the noodles and simmered or microwaved for a few more minutes until they were tender. Then I added some of the soup broth to a spoonful of miso in a separate bowl where I dissolved the miso before adding it to my soup bowl.