Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread
• 1 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk (8 ounces)
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar (1 ounce)
• 2 tablespoons ground flax meal (13 g)
• 6 tablespoons warm water (3 ounces)
• 1/2 cup oat flour (90 g)
• 1 cup cornmeal (115 g)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Line an 8×8-inch square pan with parchment.
2. Make the Vegan Buttermilk: Combine the almond milk with the vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to let the almond milk curdle slightly.
3. Make the Vegan Flax “Egg”: Combine the ground flax meal and warm water in a small dish. Set aside for 5 minutes, until gooey and “egg-like”.
4. To make the Southern Style Vegan Cornbread: Working over a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the vegan buttermilk and flax “egg” and whisk to combine. It’s okay if you have a few lumps. Add the corn kernels and stir to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the pre-lined baking pan. Bake until the cornbread just begins to brown and it pass the clean-toothpick test, about 28 – 33 minutes.
6. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Recipe Source: Plants rule