The Best Vegan Gluten-Free Cornbread
from Minimalist Baker
1/3 cup chickpea brine (whipped until fluffy and soft peaks form // aka aquafaba)
1/2 cup organic cane sugar* (as original recipe is written, you can sub up to 1/4 cup with 1 packet or tsp of stevia extract)
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup grape seed or canola oil
1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour*
1 cup fine cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and lightly grease a standard 9-inch round cake pan or 8×8-inch baking dish and dust with gluten-free flour. Shake out excess and set aside. (I also think you could use an 9-inch cast iron skillet, but it wouldn’t come out as easily and will likely have to be served directly from the pan).
2. In a liquid measuring cup, measure out non-dairy milk and add vinegar or lemon juice. Set aside.
3. Add chickpea brine to a medium mixing bowl and begin whipping until loose peaks form. Then add sugar in a little at a time and beat until the texture is glossy and white and semi-firm peaks form.
4. Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Then add almond milk mixture and oil and whisk once more. Lastly, add the whipped chickpea brine (with sugar) and gently whisk/fold in until a thick but pourable batter is formed.
5. The batter should be thick but pourable. Add more cornmeal or gluten-free flour if too wet or almond milk if too thick. I added 1 Tbsp more cornmeal and 2 Tbsp more light gluten-free flour blend (amounts as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
6. Add batter to prepared cake pan and bake on a center rack for 25-35 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out completely clean.
7. Let cool completely in the pan – set on a wire rack to speed cooling process. To remove, run a dull knife around the edge of the cake pan to loosen, then slice and serve. Alternatively, place a plate on top and quickly invert. It will be upside down so flip onto another serving platter to get it right side up.
8. Serve with vegan butter and maple syrup. Pairs extremely well with hearty dishes like Vegan Lentil Chili.
9. Store covered at room temperature for 2-3 days, or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freeze up to 1 month