Spelt Pizza Or Calzone Crust
Serves: 4 -10" crusts
*note: I add a teaspoon of salt to this recipe.
• 3 1/2 cup Whole spelt flour, extra for dusting
• 1 1/2 Tbsp Active dry yeast
• 1 cup Lukewarm water, or more if needed
• 3 Tbsp Coconut oil or earth Balance, melted
1. Sift flour into a large mixing bowl
2. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water, then stir the yeast mixture and oil into the flour. Continue stirring until you have uniform texture adding up to an additional cup of water, little by little, if needed. The dough should be moist but not wet, and workable with hands. Start kneading by hand in the bowl or on a floured surface. Knead just until dough is smooth, about 30 seconds. Don't over work it.
3. Dust the ball of dough with extra flour, cover it with a damp towel, and set aside at room temp for 1-2 hrs until it is approximately doubled in volume.
4. Divide the dough into 4 small balls. It can be kept covered at room temperature for 8 hrs. Or wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 2 days or frozen for two months. Thaw completely before rolling.
Recipe Source: My new roots cookbook