Spaghetti Squash Quinoa Cakes
Adapted From Queen of Quinoa
1 medium spaghetti squash
2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup gluten-free cornmeal (or quinoa flour)
1 flax egg, ( whisk 1 T flax meal + 2 T warm water set aside for 5 min.)
Salt & pepper to taste
Smoked paprika / chili powder (optional)
Oil for cooking
Optional sides: sauteed kale, salsa, hummus
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place squash cut side down in a baking dish and add 1/4" in of water. Roast for 40 - 50 minutes, until a knife can easily penetrate the skin.
2. Remove from oven, flip over and let sit until cool enough to handle. Scoop out flesh with a fork into a clean, dry dish towel. Squeeze as much water as you can out of the squash. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. Steam spinach in a small saucepan until just wilted. Transfer to mixing bowl and mix with squash until combined.
4. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and fold to combine. The mixture should start to resemble a soft dough. Form the dough into patties, place on a parchment lined plate or baking sheet and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
5. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add cakes and cook until golden on one side, 2 - 3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 1 - 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining cakes.
6. Serve immediately with a side of salsa / hummus and freshly sauteed kale.
For Freezing: Let cakes cool completely, then wrap in tinfoil, place in a sealed plastic bag and freeze.
To Cook Frozen Cakes: Heat oven to 300 degrees F