Smashed Potato Nachos
• 1 1/2 lb or 4 cups baby red russet potatoes
• 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
• 4 Beyond meat breakfast sausage patties
• ½ white onion, small diced
• Spray Olive Oil
• 1 cup cooked black beans
• 1 cup Chunky Cheesy Queso
• 1 tomato, diced
• 2 green onions, sliced thin
• ¼ cup jarred jalapeños
• ½ cup plant-based sour cream (see Classic Sour Cream recipe or choose your favorite store-bought option)
• Fresh cilantro, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC for roasting the potatoes later.
2. Clean the potatoes well. Place the potatoes in a seasoned pot of water, turn on heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until fork tender (about 12-15 minutes), strain, and rinse.
3. Sauté breakfast sausages and onion in a skillet over medium heat until all is browned.
4. Cover a sheet Pan with parchment paper. Evenly space the potatoes out on the sheet pan and, using a potato masher with some pressure, press each potato, smashing it slightly flat. Repeat with all the potatoes. Spray or lightly drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle each with sea salt (optional). Place in oven.
5. Continue to roast for 15-20 minutes and remove the potatoes from the oven once crispy.
6. Place half of the warm potatoes onto a serving platter or bowl, topping with ½ cup of the warmed Queso, 1/2 the sausage crumble, and 1/2 the black beans. Add the rest of the potatoes to the platter, drizzling remaining ½ of the Queso, beans, and crumble. Finish with tomato, green onions, jalapeños, plant-based sour cream, and cilantro garnish.
7. Serve immediately to all your friends!
Notes: Make sure all ingredients are very hot prior to assembly. You can make the cheeze sauce and sausage crumble in advance and just use canned beans. Put the vegan sour cream into a zipper bag and snip the corner off to squeeze a dollop or drizzle onto the potatoes. If you are serving at a party you will need a heated warming tray to keep these hot. They are not good at room temperature.
Recipe Source: Game changers