Pumpkin Walnut Quinoa Bars
Adapted from Simply Quinoa
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 12 - 16 bars
1 flax egg (1 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup quinoa flour, or gluten free flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup hemp hearts
1/2-3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment and set aside.
2. Whisk together the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, blend the chickpeas, banana, pumpkin and vanilla in a food processor until completely smooth.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, reserving the hemp hearts and walnuts. Pour the chickpea-pumpkin mixture into the bowl along with the flax egg and mix to combine.
5. Fold in the hemp hearts and walnuts.
6. Dump the batter into the prepared pan. Bake on the center rack for 22 - 26 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 - 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
8. Slice into 12 - 16 bars. Store in an airtight container for 2 - 3 days.