Pumpkin Coconut Curry Soup
1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin purée
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
1/2 to 1 tsp. red curry paste
1 3/4 cups light coconut milk
6 Tbsp. frozen apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup vegetable stock
Salt to taste
Fresh basil, chopped (optional)
Toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish, (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Heat pumpkin purée in an ovenproof baking dish until edges brown, about 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and ginger and cook about 10 minutes.
4. Add curry paste and cook 2 minutes more.
5. Put onion mixture and 1 cup roasted pumpkin purée into blender or food processor, add 1 cup coconut milk and purée until smooth.
6. Pour mixture into saucepan and stir in remaining pumpkin, coconut milk, apple juice concentrate, vegetable stock and salt.
7. Heat through and add basil if desired.
8. Pour into individual bowls and top with toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish.