Vegan Lentil + Quinoa Meatloaf (Vegan)
Author: Alyssa Rimmer
I use yellow onion and smoked salt but I swear those are the only deviations I made from this FABULOUS tasting and looking recipe!
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/4 cup diced shallot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils, separated (from about . cup dry)
1/2 cup walnuts
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup oats
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari (low-sodium preferred)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon miso paste
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (oregano, parsley, basil, thyme)
Salt + pepper to taste
for the glaze:
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free tamari
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the carrots, mushrooms, shallot and garlic until carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
3. To the processor add remaining ingredients, reserving . cup lentils, and process until a dough starts to form. Pulse in remaining lentils.
4. Transfer dough to the prepared loaf pan, pressing it down with a wooden spoon or spatula. Smooth the top and prepare the glaze.
5. Whisk all glaze ingredients together then pour over the loaf. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes,then remove and bake uncovered for another 5.
6. Remove loaf from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Remaining slices can be frozen or kept in the fridge for 2 - 3 days.