Italian Bean And Zucchini Soup
From Forks Over Knives
• 1 cup dried cannellini beans, soaked
• 1 cube unsalted vegetable bouillon
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ red onion, diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 3 stalks fresh fennel, or ½ bulb, trimmed and diced
• 1 zucchini, diced
• 1 bunch spinach, chopped
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 4 sage leaves, chopped
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
• Splash of tamari
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1. Drain the beans, then put them in a pot with enough water to cover (about 4 cups), and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Dissolve the bouillon cube in ¼ cup of water in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Cook, stirring constantly, until they release their liquid. Add the celery and fennel with a pinch of salt. Allow the vegetables to heat through and soften. Cover with water (about 3-4 cups) and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 or 10 minutes.
3. Add the cooked beans, zucchini, spinach, oregano, sage, parsley, tamari, salt, and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes more, or until the zucchini is cooked but not mushy. Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve hot.