From Forks Over Knives
• 3 cups whole-grain flour (I prefer spelt, though if you want to go gluten-free, this is a good opportunity to use buckwheat. Try half buckwheat and half oat.)
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup maple syrup
• ½ cup applesauce
• ¾ cup molasses
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Combine the maple syrup, applesauce, molasses, and white vinegar in a second medium bowl.
4. Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat. Add 1 cup hot water to the wet ingredients and stir.
5. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients while mixing, but be careful to not over-mix. The mixture should be quite thin.
6. Transfer the batter to a 9 x 13-inch glass pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
7. Cool in the pan for about 20 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.