Date Sweetened Chocolate Frosting
• 1 cup Tightly packed dates, soaked
• 1/4 cup Soaking water from dates
• 2/3 cup Raw cashews, soaked
• 1/2 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract*
• 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
• 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil* (if avoiding oil, sub more water or cashew butter)
1. Add soaked, drained cashews to blender. Add 2 tablespoons of water from the soaking dates. Blend throughly. Add dates and 2 tablespoons of their soaking water to the cashews and blend throughly. Add remainder of ingredients to the blender and blend. Scrape down the sides as needed.
2. Use immediately, or if you prefer a firmer frosting, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
3. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Use with Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Recipe Source: Adapted from Minimalist baker