Creamy Zucchini Pasta
My carnivore husband will sit up and beg for this creamy, rich Alfredo imitator.
1. Cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions in heavily salted boiling water.
2. In a high-speed blender, place cashews, milk, Earth Balance, yeast flakes, lemon juice, and teaspoon salt. Blend on high until smooth.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add zucchini and onion. Toss veggies occasionally to keep them from burning, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. If you're using kale, go ahead and add that now as well. (If you're using spinach, wait until later.)
4. Once veggies are barely fork tender (should take only a few minutes of cooking), add garlic and green peas to your skillet, and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
5. Pour pasta and blender contents over the veggies in your skillet, and stir to combine. If you're using spinach rather than kale, go ahead and add that in now as well. Allow mixture to cook for another 30 seconds or so--just until everything is hot and bubbly looking.
Your cashew cream will thicken up pretty quickly, and you'll want to remove it from heat as soon as it does. If your cashew cream is too thick and is starting to look goopy (??), go ahead and toss in the extra 1/2 cup water.
6. Garnish with fresh chopped basil or parsley, if desired, and serve immediately.