Creamy mushroom and rice soup
If you are craving comfort food on a cold winter day, this is it! Very easy to throw together and very satisfying. The oil can be easily omitted.
• 1/2 Large sweet onion, chopped
• 1 White or other carrot, chopped
• 2 Celery stalks, chopped
• 8 oz Mushrooms, any variety chopped
• 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, optional
• 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, optional
• 1 cup Brown Rice, mixed varieties
• 6 cups or more Water
• 3 Not chicken bouillon cubes
• 1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast flakes
• Smoked salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste
• 1/2 tsp Rosemary
• 1/2 tsp Sage
• 1/2 tsp Thyme
• 1/2 cup Raw cashews, soaked, drained
1. In a large soup pot, sauté onions, celery, and mushrooms in oil until tender.
2. Add rice and stir to coat with oil and toast for a minute or two.
3. Add water, chickpeas, bouillon and spices. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer for 45 min or until rice is done.
4. In a blender, add cashews, yeast, and three ladles of soup and blend till smooth .
5. Return blended mixture to soup pot, stir to incorporate then adjust seasonings to taste. Freeze leftovers.