Cajun Beans and Rice
From Meat Out Mondays
1 lb. dry kidney beans
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cups water
3 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. of salt
2 Tofurky Italian Sausages, sliced (see product)
4 cups of cooked brown rice
1. Rinse beans, and using a large pot, soak beans overnight in enough water to cover them.
2. In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until somewhat soft.
3. Rinse beans and transfer to large pot with 6 cups water.
4. Stir sauteed veggies into beans; add bay leaves, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, and Cajun seasoning.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 2 . hours, make sure not to let simmer too high, otherwise add more water.
6. Stir Tofurky sausage into beans, and continue to simmer another 30 minutes.
7. Serve over brown rice and enjoy. Leftovers can be heated overnight in a crock, or refrigerated for reheating later, or frozen.