Banana Blueberry Bars
BY KATIE MAE
This tasty bar is perfect for breakfast, a snack, or desert. It’s full of starch to give you lasting energy and unrefined sugars for a healthy sweetness. You can have a delicious treat and support your body at the same time!
From Plant-Based Katie
Makes 12 bars
Ready In: 60 minutes
1 cup dates, pitted and halved
1 1/2 cups apple juice
3 cups rolled oats, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen also works)
1/2 cup walnuts
1. In a small bowl, soak the dates in the apple juice for 10 to 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a 9$9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, making sure the sides are covered. Cut slits in the corners of the paper so that it overlaps and lies flat.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups of the rolled oats with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix and set aside.
3. Place the remaining 1 cup of rolled oats, the bananas, and the vanilla extract into a blender. Remove the dates from the apple juice and set aside. Strain the juice, add it to the blender, and blend until creamy.
4. Add the dates to the blender, and pulse a few times until the dates are in small pieces.
5. Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Mix well. Stir in the blueberries and walnuts.
6. Using a spatula, pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Cool at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.